Sunday, March 16, 2008

Steamed Pork and Shrimp Roll

Pork and Shrimp Egg Roll

Before I start my project, I need to post all of the old recipes that have been sitting on my computer for way too long. I feel bad bombarding everyone with so many short recipes but this blog clog is getting out of hand! For this steamed pork and shrimp roll, I was inspired by Bee's steamed fish rolls, who was originally inspired Chubby Hubby's and My Kitchen Snippets. Instead of fish paste I used a combination of ground pork and ground shrimp creating something that's reminiscent of one of my favorite dimsum items, pork and shrimp siu mai.

Steamed Pork and Shrimp Roll
Egg wrapper:
2 eggs
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp water
1/8 tsp salt

Pork Filling:
4 oz. ground pork
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp shao hsing rice wine
1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
Pinch of sugar

Shrimp Filling:
4 oz. ground shrimp (I used my food processor to grind it)
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 Tbsp corn starch
Dash of white pepper

1 - 2 sheets of nori

In two separate bowls, mix the ingredients for the pork filling and shrimp filling. Set aside.

Stir the flour and water together making sure to mix out any lumps, then add the eggs and salt and beat together.

Heat a nonstick skillet (I used a 12 inch skillet) over medium heat and add 2 tsp of oil. Add the eggs and swirl the pan to coat the entire surface, forming a thin layer. Cook until the eggs have set.

Prepare your steamer and have the boiling water ready.

Transfer the egg sheet to a work surface. Cover the entire surface with a thin layer of ground pork. Try to spread it out as evenly as you can. Cover the ground pork with nori 1 or 2 sheets depending on the size of your nori sheets. Cover the nori with the ground shrimp mixture and again, spread it into a thin even layer. Then take one edge and roll the entire thing in a tight cylinder. Cut the cylinder in half if the entire length does not fit into your steamer.

Steam over medium high heat for 10 - 12 minutes. Cut into the roll to make sure the interior is fully cooked.

After steaming, the egg roll will release some liquid. You can thicken this liquid with a cornstarch slurry to make a simple sauce.


10 comments:

Finla said...

Looks so delicious.
Never had them but would love to try them.

Unknown said...

oooooo creative!! hehe. oh yeah, love your goals for cooking! it was so fun to read!!! i want to try macarons!! :D

Anonymous said...

this looks outstanding! i'm definitely tagging this one. what an interesting take.

test it comm said...

Those rolls look great!

Peabody said...

Looks fabulous! I wish you luck on getting everything on your list done.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Good idea, I like I like. :)

LyB said...

Those look so good, and beautiful too!

La Tartine Gourmande said...

This looks very tasty. Yum!

tigerfish said...

I did pork + shrimp combo before in a beancurd sheet roll. I know yours is delicious :)

Rachel said...

this looks amazing !

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin