Saturday, September 12, 2009

Heirloom Tomatoes and Bacon

BLT
The sandwich of summer, the BLT.

I think my laptop caught me drooling over the shiny new Macbooks because it decided to die last week, two days before classes started. Awesome. After running every recovery, repair, and restore program, the consensus was that the hard drive irreparably failed. I've noticed that Dell computers start having problems after a year, suspiciously only a few days after the one year warranty expires. Luckily, I purchased a four year warranty with this computer but that means three more years before I can finally make the switch over to Macs.

Absolutely everything was on that hard drive-a year of schoolwork, previous work files, blog stuff-everything! And stupid, stupid, stupid me didn't back anything up! Before I launched into a full-blown panic attack once I realized I had lost all of my beloved wedding photos and invaluable lecture notes, Steven was able to salvage everything. Whew! Crisis averted! But boy did I learned my lesson. Always back up on an external drive!

Because I was able to get all my files, I'm taking this as an opportunity to post some old recipes and photos I never got around to. These heirloom tomato photos are from summer 2008. This blog has seen three summers now and there isn't a single post about heirlooms. That's just criminal! Well to be fair, most of the time I eat them plain, no salt, no balsamic-not terribly exciting. I don't cook much with them but they are fantastic in sandwiches, especially the BLT. With so few ingredients, there is absolutely no excuse to use subpar tomatoes in a BLT. I'm one of those people that will add as much as I can to a sandwich (Thanksgiving is the best time for that). I try to show more restraint with the BLT because it's a treasured classic, but more often than not, the BLT evolves into a BLAT (avocado), then that turns into a BLATT (turkey). I always stop myself there otherwise I'll start adding cornichons and furitake flakes.

Heirloom Tomatoes
I love all the funky colors and names of heirlooms.

This really isn't a recipe because who needs one for a BLT anyway? If you're a purist, go with white bread and mayo. I like whole wheat and Dijon instead. Or if I'm feeling extra fancy, some homemade brioche, a rare treat. The bacon weave is no longer groundbreaking but it does make for an extra bacony BLT and who care argue with that?
Bacon Weave
I'm sure someone will make one blanket-sized one, if it hasn't been done already. Mmm tasty.

Summer is coming to an end and school starting again was quite the rude awakening. I don't think I fully adjusted to being a first-year medical student and now you're telling me I'm a second-year? And I have to study all weekend when it's sunny and 80 degrees outside because I have a test on Monday? Welcome back to med school I guess.

Mr. Bunnington
If only I could sleep in the sun all day like Mr. Bunnington.

7 comments:

flutter said...

bacon weave and a bunny in the same post??!?! my life, she is complete

Protocol Snow said...

Whew! Very fortunate to be able to recover your files. I once lost everything :(

Val said...

bunny! Look at that cute tummy. I wanna kiss him.

Also, as though my bacon problem weren't bad enough!

Anonymous said...

I had to bite the bullet recently when my Gateway died. I have to tell you it's true, once you go Mac--you never go back!

precious said...

Lucky you! You have recovered your files! You are fortunate enough because when my laptop crashed, nothing was recovered!
baby crib

Anonymous said...

Bacon :) sounds good. Im really enjoying ur blog btw! :) And thanks for sharing the perfect yellow cake recipe from your friend's wedding cupcakes. I was just about to give out my own cry for help when I stumbled upon it. thanks a million!

Anonymous said...

You did it... Just when tomato season is over :(

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin